A roundup of some of the web’s best free preaching resources. Includes seminary lectures, podcasts, audio mp3s, and a few video series.
I have no greater privilege in life than to teach and preach God’s Word.
While I count it an immense privilege, it is also a huge responsibility to steward. That is why I continually seek to deepen my faith and sharpen my craft for more effective preaching that will bear eternal fruit.
The following free online preaching resources include links to a free mp3 or video resources along with related books for further learning. My hope is that these resources would deepen your convictions and sharpen your handling of God’s Word so that His Word would flow mightily in your life and your church.
1. Seminary Course: Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell (Covenant Seminary)
Chapell is seen by many as the go-to teacher for Christ-centered expository preaching. This course from Covenant Seminary will help you see why. A study guide and full transcript are available for each lecture.
Course Description: Principles and practice of sermon writing and delivery, exploring the unifying aspect of graces that binds all of Scripture together.
Related book from Chapell: Using Illustrations to Preach with Power
2. MP3 Lectures: Preaching and Preachers by Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Book: Preaching and Preachers
Preaching and Preachers is the classic lecture series, turned book, by the venerable Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. You will likely disagree with some of Lloyd-Jones’ conclusions, but his thoughts will inform and inspire you as a heralder of God’s Word.
3. Course: Preaching Christ in a Post-Modern World by Timothy Keller and Edmund Clowney (RTS)
Related Book: Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller (my review)
- PDF of Syllabus, Recommended Books, and Notes (189 pages!)
- From Tim Keller’s book Preaching: The Kinds of People to Consider as You Apply Scripture in Preaching (Expansive List)
- 22 Questions for Pastoral Self-Evaluation from Tim Keller and David Powlison
4. Video Course: Equipped to Preach the Word by David Jackman (The Proclamation Trust)
Course Description: This course helps you to train others to acquire and develop the necessary practical tools and skills to expound the Bible’s message. This includes both the preparation of the text and the presentation of the preaching, so as to connect that message to our contemporary cultures. The course seeks also to motivate the preacher to progress and perseverance, through spiritual encouragement, not only to be a skilled workman, but also to be maturing as a humble servant, whom God can use.
The combination of video teaching and downloadable materials for further discussion and practice exercises make this a flexible resource for training groups.
- Watch the Trailer
- Watch David Jackman describe how the Bible needs to be in the driver’s seat of the church. (From his time with Leadership Resources.)
5. Video Course: The Fundamentals of Expository Preaching by John MacArthur and Steven Lawson
Book: Preaching: How to Preach Biblically by John MacArthur
Two powerful expositors team up to teach the fundamentals of expository preaching.
- 29 Reasons Why John MacArthur is Committed to Expository Preaching
- The Expositor Podcast with Dr. Steven Lawson
- More lectures from The Master’s Seminary
6. Audio Course: Preaching Christ from the Old Testament by Edmund Clowney
Dr. Edmund Clowney is one of Tim Keller’s greatest influences in preaching. According to the description of Preaching Christ from All of Scripture, “Students preparing for the pastorate, pastors desiring to increase their emphasis on Christ in their sermons, and those seeking Christ’s presence in all of Scripture will find a help in Clowney…”
7. Mp3 Lectures: Reading for Preachers by Cornelius (Neal) Plantinga Jr. (Princeton)
Book: Reading for Preachers
This lecture series turned book wasn’t as helpful or as practical as it could have been, but it will provide good fodder for preachers who seek to expand their communication and illustrating skills by reading.
8. Course: Christ-Centered Biblical Exposition by Tony Merida (SEBTS)
Course Description: Teaching and preaching the Word of God is a great gift and responsibility. In this course, pastor and professor Dr. Tony Merida describes preaching as the responsible declaration of Christ in the Scriptures, by the Holy Spirit’s power, and for God’s glory. If you want to learn how to better teach the message of the Bible, this course will be a valuable resource.
9. Podcast: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
Description: The On Preaching Podcast is dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better. This is a place where we can sit together and talk about the important, nature, and practice of faithful, Christ-centered, biblical preaching.
10. Podcasts: Help Me Teach the Bible with Nancy Guthrie from The Gospel Coalition
The newest podcast from The Gospel Coalition sits down with Bible teachers to discuss books of the Bible and topics to help listeners teach the Bible. I listen to every episode of this podcast.
A few more random resources before I forget…
- 9Marks Sermon Application Grid
- The Preaching and Preachers Podcast from Jason Allen and Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Two Gospel Coalition Conference workshops from my pastor, Colin Smith: Preaching a Christ to Whom You Can Come and Transformative Expository Preaching
- 250+ Free Online Seminary Resources and Book Recommendations
And lastly, a shameless plug for Leadership Resources, the organization I serve with that trains pastors worldwide in expository preaching. Tim Keesee of Dispatches from the Front called our ministry training national pastors in exposition “nation shaking.”
Learn why training pastors in biblical exposition is essential for the global church or sign up to our monthly newsletter for stories of God’s work around the world and resources for preachers of the Word.