In the book Complete Marriage and Family Home Reference Guide, James Dobson identified several marriage killers that contribute to the high divorce rate that pervades our culture.
Below are the twelve things he mentioned that can act like poison for a marriage relationship.
1. Overcommitment and physical exhaustion.
2. Excessive credit and conflict over how money will be spent.
4. Unhealthy relationships with in-laws.
5. Unrealistic expectations.
6. Space invaders. (those who violate the “breathing room” needed by their partners, quickly suffocating them and destroying the attraction between them)
7. Sexual frustration and its partner, the greener grass of infidelity.
8. Business collapse.
9. Business success.
10. Getting married too young.
11. Alcohol and substance abuse.
12. Pornography, gambling, and other addictions.
For his explanation of each point, read an article describing each.