By God’s grace, I have many Bibles, both physical and digital, in English and in Spanish. My new rule of thumb for purchasing new Bibles is that if it will help me engage God’s Word, it’s usually worth the investment. (That being said, it’s easy to fill up your Amazon basket with what you think you will use but don’t actually use!)
From the start, I thought the idea of a Scripture Journal through a book of the Bible was a great idea. You already know I mark up my Bible, why not have a dedicated volume for certain books specifically for marking up?
Crossway graciously gifted Scripture Journals to the ministry I serve with (Leadership Resources International) for each of the books we study in our pastoral training program. I’ve used the basic Scripture journals with the black covers for a few months now and enjoy using them for brainstorming during sermon prep and for writing insights and connections I make in the text. I also got my wife the beautiful Illuminated Scripture Journal New Testament set. In addition to magnificently designed covers that tie to each book’s message, each journal has several artistic designs of key verses or phrases.
My wife and I have enjoyed using our respective journals for several reasons:
- Like I said, the Illuminated Journals are beautiful!
- They seem like a great way to store notes, insights, illustrations, etc. for a book you want to study deeply. (That’s why our organization will use them sometimes.) It’s one thing to have information digitally, it’s another thing to have it in your own handwriting.
- I engage the Bible in a more personal way when I write in it.
- Practically, one journal is easier to hold up to read than a bulky Bible. (They also won’t hurt as much when they fall on your face if you fall asleep reading—done that!)
- My wife likes the size compared to a full-size Bible because she can throw it in her purse and read it throughout the day.
If you’re interested in Crossway’s Scripture journals but don’t want to pay for a whole OT or NT set (black cover or Illuminated), my recommendation is to try one and see how you like it. Maybe you’ll love it or maybe you’ll realize that reading with a Moleskine could enrich your walk with God as well.
Whatever your choice, rejoice with me at the riches of God’s Word available to us in many different (and compelling) formats. We truly are a privileged people.
More to be desired are they [the words of God] than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
Buy ESV Scripture Journals
- ESV Scripture Journal – Old Testament Set | New Testament Set | Hardcover NT
Illuminated ESV Scripture Journal – Old Testament Set | New Testament Set
- See all Scripture Journals on Westminster Books
Dede shared this photo on my Facebook post sharing this review: